Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Reflex Tattle Tail


I went to Dominion after my exam today. As I was perusing the bakery section, I noticed a crack head type go for a package of turnover type pastries (see image). Only moments later I saw him run out of the store with the said pastries. I know he didn't pay for them.
At that moment I was standing next to an employee who did not witness the incident. Without even thinking I leaned over and said, "That guy just stole some pastries." That's all the employee needed to go after the guy. I didn't stick around to see what went down.
But it did get me thinking. First of all I am a total reflex tattler. It was an immediate response in this situation. I shouldn't have said anything. In fact I feel bad about doing it now. That guy was probably homeless or has a drug problem and he doesn't have the money to pay for food. Though I might question his meal choice, it may be all he has to eat today. And who really gives a shit if Dominion doesn't get their $2.99 for those pastries. I certaintly don't. I should learn to keep my big mouth shut.

No comments: