Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I wonder what they were doing in the mall.......

I saw a couple young Amish guys in the mall today and it reminded me of my fascination with both Amish people and Hasidic Jews.
These people just do not give a f**k about fashion and modernity to a point. Its kind of hot. Sometimes when I see an Amish/Hasidic Jew guy I think about what it would be like to corrupt their devout ways with the sins of the flesh. Is that gross?
We went to a Hutterite colony when I was like 9 years old. My parents and I were at the first anniversary celebration for the Duke and Duchess of York (yes....the real Fergie, not the Fergalicious one). It took place at Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump.
Anyways, it was raining a lot before hand and my dad brought this huge tarp for my mom and I to sit on as it was muddy. We ended up inviting these Hutterite girls over to sit on it and they invited us back to the colony for dinner. It was amazing! I played in the fields and around the farm equipment with the other little girls. It was so interesting because at this point we were still so similar. They wore dresses, I wore dresses. They were mischievous and so was I. (They told me a story about clapping chalk board erasers on their old teacher's beard when he fell asleep) Anyways, good people. I'm sure those girls are all married with 10 kids now.
Oh! Those Amish guys in the mall had these amazing homemade clothes on! Most of their stuff was soft dark denim with top stitched pleats in the pants. Even the little baby girl they had with them wore a homemade denim cloak. Amish chicks must be great seamstresses. I wonder if any of them get a little crazy with the sewing machine and make mini skirts to wear behind closed doors.

No comments: